Content of the material
- How To Get Dead Skin Off Lips Without Scrub
- Exfoliate Your Lips With A Toothbrush
- Exfoliate Your Lips With a Towel
- Exfoliate Your Lips With an Electric Toothbrush
- Exfoliate Your Lips with Tissue Paper or Paper Towel
- Exfoliate Your Lips With a Spoolie
- Ready-Made Lip Exfoliants
- How To Exfoliate Lips – The Best Ways?
- DIY Homemade Lip Scrub
- Best Way to Exfoliate Lips – How to Get Super Soft Lips?
- A Few Things to Consider
How To Get Dead Skin Off Lips Without Scrub
Exfoliate Your Lips With A Toothbrush
What does brushing your lips do? Brushing your lips with a soft bristle toothbrush helps to exfoliate your lips by removing dead and flaking skin.
The tiny bristles on a toothbrush is perfect to use on your lips for exfoliation. They are soft enough so they won’t hurt your lips. A toothbrush can help your lips become more plump and it only takes a few minutes.
To exfoliate your lips with a toothbrush, simply wet the bristles and scrub your lips in a circular motion. Use light pressure and ensure to cover all areas. If you feel irritation, stop immediately and try again with a brush that has softer bristles.
This helps to remove the dead skin cells on your lips, leaving them smooth and plumped. Do this once or twice a day to keep your lips in tip-top condition.
Exfoliate Your Lips With a Towel
The rough textures of the towel fabric can be used to exfoliate your lips. Ensure to use a soft towel, like a microfiber towel, to minimize irritation.
To exfoliate your lips with a towel, simply wet the towel and rub it onto your lips. Use gentle pressure and in a circular motion. You will find that your lips will look better immediately. If you feel irritation, stop immediately and add a bit of Vaseline to help moisturize your lips.
Do this once a day to exfoliate your lips and to make them soft.
Exfoliate Your Lips With an Electric Toothbrush
Similar to the toothbrush method described above, an electric toothbrush can also be used to exfoliate your lips. You have to be sure to use a soft brush head and an electric toothbrush with a “sensitive” or “low spin” setting.
To exfoliate your lips with an electric toothbrush, simply wet the electric toothbrush head and turn the electric toothbrush into “slow spin” or “sensitive” mode. Lightly glide it on the surface of your lips. As the brush is spinning, it will take out any dead skin on your lips. Spend only ½ to 1 second in each area.
Do not stop or focus on one area for too long due to the risk of irritation. If you feel irritation, stop immediately and apply some vaseline to help moisturize and relieve irritation.
Do this once every two days should do the trick. As an electric toothbrush may be too powerful for most people with sensitive lips, it’s not the preferred method but it’s also very effective for removing dead skin cells on your lips.
Exfoliate Your Lips with Tissue Paper or Paper Towel
Tissues and paper towels can also be used to exfoliate your lips. Unlike the towel method, don’t rub tissues or paper towels on your lips as they may leave behind tiny pieces of paper crumbs that are hard to clean up.
This method is for gentle exfoliation of dead skin cells on the surface of your lips.
To exfoliate your lips with tissue paper or paper towels, follow these steps:
- Wet the tissue paper or paper towel and place them on your lips like a mask. Ensure that it covers your entire lips.
- Apply gentle pressure on top and wait around 3 minutes. This allows your lips to absorb moisture.
- Gently peel off the paper tissue or paper towel. This will gently pull the dead skin from your lips, moist, fresh skin underneath.
Apply some lip balm or Vaseline to hold in the moisture.
As this is a gentle method, you can do this twice daily. If you find tiny pieces of paper crumbs on your lips after using this method, it means you need to get better quality tissue or paper towel.
Exfoliate Your Lips With a Spoolie
You can use a spoolie to exfoliate your lips. A spoolie is designed to be used on eyelashes and brows so the bristles are usually stiffer and more spaced out. You wouldn’t use it as a toothbrush for exfoliating because a spoolie is designed to be used in an “up and down” motion and not “side to side”.
To exfoliate your lips with a spoolie, first clean the spoolie and ensure that there is no mascara or other eye makeup on it. Then place the spoolie horizontally on your lips and brush in an up and down motion. Use gentle pressure and do this for all areas of your lips. This will brush off the dead skin. Rinse your lips afterward with water and moisturize with lip balm or vaseline.
As the bristles on a spoolie are quite stiff compared to a toothbrush, it does a good job of exfoliating dead skin cells. Do this once every two days for lasting results.Was This Post Helpful? Let us know if you found this post helpful. That’s the only way we can improve.
Ready-Made Lip Exfoliants
The easiest way to treat chapped lips is with a product that will buff away dead skin and reveal the soft layer underneath. Below, our top picks that get the job done.
Bite Beauty Agave+ Weekly Vegan Lip Scrub $24.00 Shop
Made with raw brown sugar, pineapple enzymes, and oils, this lip scrub is a three-in-one super product. It cleanses, exfoliates, and conditions to give you soft, hydrated lips.
Sara Happ The Lip Scrub Pink Grapefruit $24.00 Shop
Looking for a lip scrub that's as effective as it is gorgeous sitting on your vanity? Look to this one from Sara Happ, which features super-fine sugar to exfoliate as well as jojoba and grapeseed oils to moisturize.
Wonderskin Wonder Blading 3-in-1 Lip Scrub $20.00 Shop
Both convenient for on-the-go and ultra-hydrating, this lip crayon-esque scrub helps prep your pout for any product you put on top. It's the total do-it-all that sloughs away dead skin, moisturizes, and primes for flawless application.
Kopari Coconut Lip Scrubby $18.00 Shop
Fake a tropical vacation with Kopari's coconut-infused lip scrub. The MVP ingredient is packed with fatty acids to soothe chapped skin and intensely hydrate.
How To Exfoliate Lips – The Best Ways?
Exfoliation is a simple technique. It involves an exfoliant which is a coarse-grained ingredient made from minute solid fragments designed to remove the dead skin.
Lip scrubs are an easy way to exfoliate your lips at home. You can indulge in an enjoyable and fun process when you create a lip scrub at home using the most basic ingredients. Alternatively, you can get your hands on a store-bought ready-made product.
Exfoliating lips with sugar and olive oil or coconut oil is a concoction you can put together in minutes. Exfoliate lips quickly and subtly by combining a pinch of sugar with your preferred lip balm. This works well and saves plenty of time.
If not, you can cherry pick from an assortment of household ingredients based on your personal preference. The idea is to fuse together your favorite exfoliating ingredient with an emollient/moisturizing agent and you’re good to go!
DIY Homemade Lip Scrub
Your favored lip balm
Petroleum jelly (Vaseline)
Oils (jojoba, coconut, olive, etc.)
Sugar (white/ brown)
Towel or toothbrush
1. If you’re making an exfoliator at home, then take around a tablespoon of your exfoliating ingredient.
2. Next, add in your emollient. The quantity entirely depends on the ingredients you’ve chosen.
3. Mix it all together.
4. Before you apply the mixture onto your lips, wipe off any product residue. Then wet your lips with water to soften it.
5. Dip your choice of tool like a toothbrush or scrubber into the mixture and apply it onto your lips in a small circular motion.
6. Whether you exfoliate lips with a washcloth or any other means, don’t brush or swipe on too harshly. This will overly strip your lips.
7. After 2-3 minutes of exfoliation, wash off the leftover product with water or wipe off with a soft cloth or tissue. Next, lather on a moisturizing lip balm of your choice.
8. If you’re using a store-bought product, then follow steps 4 through 7.
Adding flavor, like a dash of cocoa powder or a drop of pure vanilla extract, gives your exfoliator a lovely fragrance.
Best Way to Exfoliate Lips – How to Get Super Soft Lips?
Here is a simple technique on the best natural ways to exfoliate lips. You simply need Olive Oil, Sugar, a Soft bristle toothbrush, warm water and a small towel. When you have all these materials here is what you need to do.
- Mix together some sugar and olive oil until you get a thick paste. You should end up with more sugar than oil. But remember, you will only need a little. As much to cover your lips.
- Grab your toothbrush and scrape up the mixture.
- Gently brush your lips in tiny circular motions for about 2 minutes. (Like brushing your teeth but on your lips)
- Leave on the substance for about 3-5 minutes.
- Cup your hands and fill them with warm water and rinse your lips until all the sugar particles are gone.
- Tap your lips with a towel to dry.
- You can choose to apply chapstick if you are in need.
A Few Things to Consider
As with any item that’s about to come in contact with your skin, clean is always the way to go, so opt for a brand new brush if you’re looking to slough away skin on the face. Lips and body can probably pass with a used brush, but if you’re exfoliating any acne-prone areas such as the chest or back, it’s best to err on the side of caution. Additionally, a manual brush is best as it allows more control and less risk of irritation if you fail to move it around enough. Electronic facial cleansing brushes operate on the same idea, but if you’re going to exfoliate with a toothbrush, stick to the nonelectric, old-fashioned variety for the best results.